CEOs are constantly trying to reinvent their brands. They want to ensure that they stay relevant, connected, and distinguished. But do they have the right formula for building the brand?
B.U.I.L.D. your brand, from the ground-up
CEOs, no matter how personally attached they are to their brand, don’t define it. It’s their employees that do. Front-line employees are responsible for every touch point, and every interaction a customer has with the organization. Not only are they the face of the brand, but they are the ones who are most insightful when it comes to defining it – and they assume the most ownership of it.
How do you empower them to B.U.I.L.D the brand?
- Begin with the customer first. It’s imperative that the organization be customer-focused, versus being operationally-focused.
- Understand their needs, wants, desires – and their perceptions of how your organization fulfills them. As well as your competitors… After all, unless you are the electric company, there are alternative ways for your customers to satisfy their needs and address their pain points.
- Identify areas of uniquenessin your offering. Your brand is influenced by your customers, your competitors, and your core competency. It’s where you can differentiate amongst the three that your brand can live.
- Lead with your heart when it comes to making decisions, and encourage your employees to do the same. The most powerful brands in the world have employees and customers that are engaged and emotionally connected to the brand.
- Develop and invest in your talent. All CEOs will say “Our people are our biggest asset”. Well, unluckily for you, it’s the same for your competitors as well. It’s what you do with your people that will set you apart – and – what you allow them to do. Front-line employees need to be highly engaged and this goes beyond the paycheck. Make sure they are empowered to make a difference in their interactions with their customers.
The process of brand building doesn’t end here – it’s just beginning. However, if you communicate this mantra throughout the organization, you will have the right blueprint for building a brand that has a strong foundation in your employee base – which will invite your customers to feel right at home in what you have built.
Ray Beharry is a Marketing & Sales Leader based out of the Greater New York City area. He can be reached via LinkedIn, email – email@example.com, and is also on Twitter @RayBeharry.